Stoneville is a town in Rockingham County, North Carolina, United States. Settlers came to the ridge between the Mayo and Dan rivers in the northwest Piedmont region in the early 1800s. In 1827, the Deep Springs Plantation was built for James Madison Scales and his wife Elizabeth Lesuer in what is now Stoneville. In 1843 the R.H. Lewis Tobacco company was established in the south side of the land that was to become the town of Stoneville. In the late 1850s, brothers Thomas and Pinkney Stone bought land in the area.. On March 5, 1877, the town was officially incorporated. A natural stop on the Norfolk-Western rail line, Stoneville became the trade hub for the surrounding localities and profited off of tobacco, cotton and grist-milling industries.